Bobbin Lace and Other Hobbies

Search This Blog

Pages

Tally the Tiny Elephant - The Lace Guild

I was delighted to have my new version of Tally the Tiny Elephant appear on the front cover of The Lace Guild's quarterly magazine, as well as covering three pages of pattern (with a surprise variation), diagrams and article.


Tally the cover star!  Earlier versions of 'Tally the Tiny Elephant' joined a couple of 'Foggy Forget Me Not's and 'Ellie the Torchon Elephant' to join the party.  A couple of shy, as yet unreleased patterns 'Rosie Posy' and 'Dizzy' can just be seen poking into the frame but 'Bluebell the Momma Elephant' stood well back, watching the rumpus from a distance. 

This design languished in my folder for years, unsure if I wanted to make it into a free pattern or save it for something else.   I rather liked the idea that The Lace Guild's magazines are collected, treasured and passed on along, seen as comparable with lace books and wondered if that was where I should release some patterns.   

I see few of the finished projects for all the many patterns I have release as free downloads.  Are these patterns just languishing in the depths of phones and computers, neatly collecting dust in folders, or are they being made into lace, and people just don't know how to post them to my Facebook pages, or send me a message with the completed lace?

Feedback is very important to every designer.   I don't go to live classes, meetings, lace fairs, or indeed see any lacemakers in real life.  My opportunities for interactions where I could get feedback on my free patterns is totally reliant on the internet.    

A photo of finished lace is always wonderful for me to see, no matter what you may think of your own version, I love to see them all.

When a lady at The Lace Guild asked if I would consider releasing some of my reserved larger patterns for publication in their quarterly magazine, I was reluctant to let them go.  These have been my secret stash for so long, nervous of what would happen if I released them.  I worried that they could be grabbed by people who claim my original designs and sell or publish under their own names.  Would Ai take them and corrupt them into mash up nonsense patterns?  

Social media postings soon disappear as they are pushed down the feed by newer posts, such is the way with online postings.  I considered that, if my designs were in print through a long standing, reputable organization such as The Lace Guild, I would have a place alongside other designers in a publication, both online and in print, which will outlast a post on Facebook!

Tally will be followed by more patterns going into The Lace Guild's magazine, if they want them!  Don't worry, there will still be more of my free designs going out through my Lesley's Lace pages.  

The Lace Guild is here   https://www.laceguild.org/    

How to join is here https://www.laceguild.org/guild-membership

There is a free digital sample magazine to download, although an older edition, it has lots of patterns and articles.  https://www.laceguild.org/lace-magazine


No comments: