Search This Blog

Pages

Roller Pillow Restoration

This pillow was passed to me having been rescued from being thrown away.    It was unusable due to smell and rust but I like an occasional challenge so set to work. 

The book which came with it was dated 1934. 

"I feel sure this charming book on Lace-making will be a great help and incentive to out Guides....We owe Miss Milroy a deep debt of gratitude for the labour and time she has expended on bringing out such a valuable addition to our Guide literature.....Lace-making is one of the oldest and most beautiful of all our handicrafts." 

 I suspect the wood was taken from bits of cut down furniture as evidence by the green railway paint still on some pieces.  The stuffing was cut up blanket and knitted wool, with a flock layer on top.  The photographs show the work progress from original to finished dressed pillow along with the original hand drawn patterns. 

 I had to rebuild the pillow using high density EPS foam because I couldn't work with original materials.


I love the idea that some little girl guide's father or grandfather would have made this in their shed,  a snapshot of the period.