Search This Blog

Pages

A Llacey Llama

Yes, I do know llama is pronounced 'yama', but in UK we pronounce it with an 'L'.  However, I could have used 'Llummy Llama' as a title which would be pronounced 'yummy yama'!😀

I suppose this could be called a multi media piece of bobbin lace.  Not only does it draw from a variety of bobbins lace making styles, it also uses paint, embroidery and tassel making.

I used an Ecru coloured thread, slightly thicker than I use to make my first pieces. This meant that the piece was larger to work on.  It only just fitted on the disc block of my pillow, part of one foot had to be made in the air which is a whole new way of making lace!

This piece was turned over before painting and adding tassels because there were a lot of threads thrown out along the top of the blanket.  The bead for the eye happily popped through the half stitch to change sides. 

This is fresh from unpinning, showing the disc block it was made on.


These are the paints I use to colour the lace.  To get lighter colours, simply dilute more.  These blocks don't seem to penetrate the thread and run, so they are ideal for small areas. They also didn't show as strong on the reverse.  The paints were handy to even out the colours along the top of the blanket where the ecru passives and workers were tinted to match the bands of different colour threads.


The final, and trickiest bit was making the tiny tassells for its head and the blanket edge.  I used leftover thread and sewed the tassel to the lace.  On the face, I embroidered chain stitch to make it's halter with the same thread as the tassel.